What Is Hot Fill Processing?
- Hot-Fill Products must have a pH<4.6 (High Acid)
- This process uses the heat and acidity of the product to sterilize the product and the bottle.
- The product is typically heated to between 82° and 88° C (180°-190° F)
- The product is filled at this temperature into the bottle
- Special containers and caps are required to maintain the seal and withstand the temperatures)
- The bottle must be laid on its side to expose the lid to the hot product.
- The “Hold Time” is done in the bottle and is generally 1-3 minutes.
- Hot-filled products can be sold un-refrigerated, and un-opened containers have a shelf life of 6 to 12 months or more.
- Benefits of Hot-fill processing
- Clean label-NO PRESERVATIVES
- Long shelf-life
- Shelf Stable (does not require refrigeration)
- Commonly available at co-packers
- Can be used for wide range of high acid products
- Can be a low-cost process
Common Hot-Filled products
- Orange, Grape, Apple, or other fruit Juices
- Fruit Punches
- Drinks like lemonade or lime-ade
- Soups and savory sauces
- Fruit sauces
- Baby Foods
Suggested MicroThermics Processors for Hot-Fill Processing
MicroThermics Miniature Plant Trial Services
Let us do the processing work for you! We’ll even help you select and develop your process. Miniature Plant Trials are conducted at our facility where you can formulate and process products at conditions. With our Miniature Plant Trial Services, you can arrive with a concept and leave with a tested and proven formula.